Monday, January 17, 2011

Season over for the Hawks

Well I didn't get the chance to watch the whole game but it looked like the Hawks tried to put a fight but couldn't move the ball down the field until the third quarter. In the end it sounded like the Hawks missed some huge opportunity to get back in the game. After watching the highlights on ESPN it seemed the Hawks went back to their old self with drop passes by the receivers. But all in all they did things this season that surprise the nation buy having a losing record and getting to the playoffs and beating the New Orleans Saints the former Super Bowl Champions. I was looking forward to purchasing my first NFC Championship ticket but it looks like I'm going to have to wait a long time for that. This team has many holes to fill in the off season and it will start with the quarterback position. Either they sign Matt Hasslebeck to a two year deal or they face letting him walk to a team maybe in our own division. My suggestion is to sign him to that two year deal with a incentives package and a low salary base pay and then draft a quarterback in the first round and have him sit for one year under Matt. Also lets go find some defensive backs that are tall and can cover on passing downs with out getting beat. The offensive line will be a need to add depth there with the same thing going for the defensive line. Lets go out and also find maybe one more tight end that can block so the Hawks can free up John Carlson. Even though the season is over I'm happy that the Hawks showed us the fans that they didn't give up and they fought hard until the end. The NFC West title is back where it belongs in Seattle home the 12th man. Great job Seahawks now lets go into the off season and make this team better and stronger to compete for the big daddy of them all the Lombardi trophy.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. It was a heck of a season. I'm sad that it is all over, but in retrospect, there was a lot more good than there was bad. Seriously, this was a rebuilding year. Fist thing that comes to mind is that the Carrol program appears to work. It isn't perfected quite yet, but there was a huge turnaround in how the guys gelled and a belief that they could be winners. That in itself is huge. We definately need some players. With all due respect, some of our guys are just not that talented. Some are getting past their prime. And some are just not playing well. There are offensive and defensive line issues. We have the whole QB issue. Cornerbacks need an upgrade. And Jeremy Bates needs to go back to college ball...

    On the bright side, I have started to change my tune regarding Whitehurst. There is something there that needs to be looked at more closely. I discounted the guy mainly because I like Matt, and secondly because of his lack of experience. Maybe I was a bit too harsh and jumped to conclusions. Is he our guy for the future? I can't say. But there is more to ol' Charlie than what I was giving him credit for. Lofa had a great year. The guy put up some serious tackles on the books. Once again, proving why he is the leader on the defensive side of the ball. Earl Thomas... WOW! He is raw, but awesome. Someday he will be the next Lawyer Milloy, possibly even better. Going to be fun watching this kid develop. Hawthorn, damn boy, that guy is sooo under rated. What a great player he is. The hits he puts on guys makes my teeth rattle! That running game with Lynch and Forsett. Not bad. I just wish Bates would give them the ball more often. The best way to win is to beat up those defenses. You do that by pounding the ball... pounding... pounding... pounding. I can't say enough about that kind of thing. It is obvious that in all of our wins this year, the running game played a huge part.

    The bad... Well, where should I start? I guess I would poke first at the injury rate. I said it before and I'll say it again, "YOU CAN"T HELP YOUR TEAM WHILE SITTING ON THE SIDELINE!" I am no trainer, so I am not qualified to discuss this, but something needs to be changed in the prep work for all these guys. They need to be toughened up some. I don't know how, but it needs to be done. And without naming names, I definately think we have some underperforming dudes on the team. Is it them in particular? Or is it that they need a complimentary player to provide complimentary pressure, thus opening them up to make plays? I'm not sure. But something is funky in the back seat and it may be time to make some tough decisions. They may end up being free agent market bait. That may not be such a bad thing, at least from my perspective.

    Anyhow, if taken in perspective of a rebuilding year, we did alright. We won a championship. We played fairly well. And this thing did a complete 180 since last year. Not a bad beginning in my book. Good job Hawks. Can't wait until next season to see what other good things are in store.

    ReplyDelete