Tuesday, March 29, 2011
The Lockout
This has to be one of the most annoying things I have heard all year. Both the players and owners needs to figure this out in a hurry. How in the world can people argue over a thing like money especially when both sides make a ton of money every year. For the owners you can not tell the fans that you are losing out on money when you have ESPN, NFL TV, CBS, FOX and NBC broadcasting your brand and you are still making money from all the merchandise that is being sold during and after the season is going. For the players please stop whining about not making enough money when your paychecks for every two weeks is worth more than a hundred grand. I get that you are risking your lives to play a physical contact sport but you are a millionaire that is making a ton of money to play ball. Adrian Peterson comment that the league is like a "modern-day slavery" is one of the dumbest things you can say when you are making 5 million a year to carry a dam football. Yes there needs to be a resolution for the rookies and yes there needs to be a better pensions for the retiree of the leagues but come on people you taking away from the public and that's whats kills the most. It is not the players and the owners that hurt but it us the fans that have to suffer through the thought that a year of football will be missing. And for Roger Goodell the owners bitch you have no balls to tell the players and the owners to get this matter figured out, if this was Paul Tagliabue the former commissioner he would have told both sides to get it done by now instead of having the free agents and draft be question marks leading into the season.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I see both sides, actually all three sides. The third being the fan's side. Speaking of fans, isn't this what Pro Football (or Pro Sports for that matter) is all about? For if it was not for the fans, then there would be no millions, no billions, no nothing. The fans rule the game, so they all best keep that in mind while the players and owners squabble over all of our supporting dollars. But, to play the devil's advocate here, I am not for or against either the owner's or the player's sides. They each have their points. Honestly this is all about greed on both sides. The players want more of the pie and the owners don't want to give up any more than they have to. I get it. I don't like it, but I get it. It is the same shit that every working person goes through with their employer. The only difference is just how much more money they are bargaining over compared to the rest of us. I like the 18 game season, but I understand the player's issues over it. I think a lockout is a stupid posturing idea that rates right up there with disbanding the players union. What the hell is this all about. Thought they all wanted to play ball, but instead they are playing politics. That's bull shit. All I know is that all of us fans are going to suffer. Ticket prices are going through the roof. Communities have the fork out huge chunks of their own personal incomes to fund these monstrous stadiums. And yet the players and the owners just want to have a giant pissing match over splitting up revenues. Let me make this real simple... Rookies get a basic starting salary. If they prove their worth, year two is a negotiation year and the sky is the limit. Retired players need to be taken care of. Implement good safety policies that protect the players, while still allowing the game to be what it is... ROUGH! Do something to make sure plays are accurately refereed. And make sure that all NFL people uphold a standard moral and ethical program that punishes (harshly) those that fuck up. Seriously, all you NFL people want to be treated like you are special, then be special. Otherwise, join the rest of us making meager wages and working our asses off every single day of the year. Maybe then you will appreciate what you have. Now back to the fans. I believe in two things. Fans should be able to afford to go to games...period. Without us the NFL is nothing. Secondly, if the lockout screws the season, we should screw the NFL. As much as that pains me to say, I think our voice is loudest when it is enmasse and by withholding our hard earned cash. Fans need to unite! All of us together can put the ballgame back where it belongs, in the care of the fans.
ReplyDeleteThe fact that the players and owners have that kind of money baffles me. We the fans are the ones really supporting them in making their millions and billions. Like I said before the NFL is the biggest tv market in sports world. If both sides can come to term before the draft I would be happy but that is a long shot from happening. Us the fans will be heard eventually. Everything has a reason behind it but this is something I just don't get. The lawsuit that the players have going on right now is something to keep a eye on. With no union this will be a long term process.
ReplyDelete